Participate in a Study
TIGER Kids Study
The TIGER Kids study is researching ways to increase kids' physical activity and reduce sedentary behavior (help kids move more and sit less) to help improve their overall health.
This study is using state-of-the-art technology, including activity trackers and global positioning system (GPS) to monitor physical activity, imaging to measure body fat, and messages sent through a mobile phone app to identify what motivates or prevents kids from being physically active.
***Researchers are currently seeking children who are overweight or obese to participate***
About the Study
TIGER Kids participants will attend an orientation session at Pennington Biomedical to learn about the study and receive activity tracking tools. Participants will also have 2 visits to Pennington Biomedical's Translational Research Center for Children (TReCC) during the study, 1 visit after the orientation and 1 visit 2 years later.
Participants in the TIGER Kids study will also receive valuable health information at no cost. Each participate is eligible to receive a copy of:
- all lab work; including blood sugar and cholesterol tests;
- a printout of their DXA scan, which includes total body fat, total muscle mass, total lean mass and bone density readings; and
- a copy of all body measurements including height, weight, waist circumference, body mass index, blood pressure and heart rate.
- 3 study visits
- Body measurements (height, weight, and waist size)
- Blood pressure
- Blood Tests
- Dietary Questions
- Body Composition Tests (imaging using DXA and MRI)
- Wear an activity monitor, GPS tracker, and respond to messages on a mobile app for 7-days
Number of Visits:
- Be between 10 and 16 years old
- Be overweight or obese
- Not be on a restrictive diet
To qualify, participants in this study should:
Participation in this study will last approximately 2 years (3 total study visits).
Total compensation for the completion of this study is $100.
Parents, are you ready to see if your child qualifies for the TIGER Kids study? Visit https://my.pbrc.edu/clinic/screener/?study=0570-0000 to screen online or call 225-763-3000.
If you think you may be eligible, please click the button below to screen online.
Please do not fill out this questionnaire for anyone other than yourself unless you are their legal guardian.
If you know someone who may be interested please direct them to the site or have them call us directly at 225-763-3000.
If you’re 18 or older, there may be other studies that you can join. Click here to find out about these studies or call 225-763-3000 to learn how you can be a volunteer!
If you don't see a trial that fits your interests or needs, click here to complete a questionnaire and we will contact you about any future trials for which you may qualify.